Sorry I haven't posted. We didn't have Internet service yesterday...Where to begin?
We arrived in Port Au Prince to a brand-new airport with a MUCH better setup than where I was here this summer. That was one of my biggest fears as a group leader so that was a definite answer to prayer! Thanks to all who are praying and keep ém coming:) One of the ReachGlobal leaders, Steve Spellman met us and told us we would be going straight to a church in Port Au Prince for a special service to commemorate the anniversary of the earthquake on Jan 12, 2010. We went to the large church, orphanage and school compound run by Pastor Moise. This is who Pastor Jim Scott is working with on the Global Fingerprints orphan sponsorship program. This church is in a dicey neighborhood but is one of the nicest church buildings in Haiti; 1200 people attend the two services every Sunday.
We weren't sure what to expect as people began filing in around 2:45 and continued to pour in the doors over the hours until the church was full of hundreds. There was a big worship team with a keyboard, drums and electric guitar. We heard familiar songs like How Great Thou Art, Above All and I Want to See Jesus Lifted High. For you Spinal Tap fans, the volume was at 11!!! Steve went up to preach and Pastor Moise translated and it was about The Millenium in Revelation and how Satan will be bound and Jesus will reign . He did a call and response to get the main points across and people were yelling back at the top of their lungs. As the 3 hour service progressed, I witnessed some of the most amazing worship in all of my life. There was one worship leader that reminded me of a Haitian James Brown! People were literally dancing in the aisles, doing a conga line, men twirling their neckties over their heads, little kids grabbing us to dance. The only phrase I can use to describe it was praising with reckless abandon. I kept thinking, I wish my dad could be here to see this because it is right up his alley! Here they are, people who have faced death and destruction and are still living with many repurcussions of the earthquake as well as the poverty and despair that has existed in this country for many years and they are giving praise and thanks to God with all that they have without self-consciousness or reserve. What a lot we Scandanavian Minnesotans can learn from that!
Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. Jeremiah 31: 13
(thanks to Bonnie for finding that verse for me!)
No comments:
Post a Comment