Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Haiti Health Ministries

Today Gene and Steve went to do some electrical work at the house where a missionary family from MN will soon be staying.  Obviously I do not possess that skill set so I went to the clinic today.
Dr. Jim Wilkins and his wife Sandy started this outpatient clinic right down the road a bit from the guest house here.  This week they went back to Kansas and Dr. Tom Cairns formerly  from ReachGlobal in Congo is filling in.
People line about outside before 7:30 and set up cooking stalls outside.  Patients who have a rendez-vous (appointment) are seen first and a triage is set up. People come dressed to the nines and pretty much spend the day there between the waiting area, clinic visit, lab visit and pharmacy.   I was with one of the longtime clinic staff who mainly sees prenatal visits and does some wound care.  I was able to take BPs while she saw many pregnant ladies.  Birth control is  not very common here and most women have had multiple pregnancies starting at a young age.  STDs are common as well during pregnancy since there is rampant infidelity.  Unfortunately there are many self-induced abortions from some meds you can buy on the street; we saw a 42 year old pregnant lady who tried this but was unsuccessful...
Dr. Tom was amazing to watch as he tried to get a history through a translator and did his physical exam the old fashioned way.  I saw him diagnose goiters, probable sickle cell anemia, pneumonia, congestive heart failure and deal with many diabetics.  He is an awesome teacher to those shadowing him, to the Haitian clinic staff as well as to patients and families. 
I just returned from hiking up the nearby mountain on a very steep and rocky road.  The humidity feels like 100% and I am dripping with sweat as usual.  It was a beautiful view to see Gressier below and the ocean in the distance.  This is a beautiful country despite all its problems and I am reminded of God's glory in creation even in a poverty-stricken spot such as this.  I really love it here and feel I am right where I am supposed to be.  I think CFC can do great things, not only for the people of Haiti but also the work that is done to change their hearts and relationship with Christ in a place like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment