I learned a disturbing fact about the orphans of Haiti. 75% of them actually have 2 living parents. Many are simply too poor to care for their children. We visited a grassroots orphanage here in Gressier today run by a Haitian couple, Madame and Pastor Christiane. They have about 25 orphans on the "compound" and are not directly affiliated with any relief organization. Reach Global has a connection there and regularly visits. Madame is kind and loving but runs a tight ship. Those kids jump when she claps her hands and stand at attention! They sang us several songs including We Are the World in Haitian Creole. They then wanted us to sing it in English. I was the only one of the group who even attempted it and could only manage the refrain....Good thing I'm a child of the 80s!
It is amazing what they are grateful for when they have so little. They were thrilled to get 3 coloring sheets and 2 crayons each and shared their colors with the others. I was able to teach them a song in English "Pharaoh, Pharaoh-Oh baby, let my people go..." Annette Cairns was able to tell the story of Daniel through our interpretor and most of them were already familiar with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego even though I'm sure they've never seen Veggie Tales! The highlight for me was showing them how to knit. They crochet like mad and have created many beautiful and intricate tablecloths and huge afghans but didn't know knitting at all. I felt like I was holding court as they clustered around me and by the time I left, Madame Christiane's daughter was a pro. I hope she remembers how to cast off! They would love some knitting supplies and simple pattern books and I know just the place at CFC to garner those resources:)
The thing that struck me is how happy those children were despite their circumstances. What a lesson for all of us to remember. When I phoned home my son Alex was distraught about a cracked screen on his new iPod. As Pastor Randy would say, "That's a rich person's problem". These kids have next to no toys, primitive tents or shacks, no indoor plumbing and sketchy electricity yet manage to smile and play like ordinary children.
It was the sweatiest day yet and looking back at Steve's photos, I look like someone dumped a bucket of water over my head...not my best look! But it was very rewarding and I will hold the smiles of those kids in my heart. A thunderstorm this evening lifted the humidity and we are enjoying a cool breeze right now. More visitor have arrived to the guest house and it is constantly busy with Haitian visitors and us mission folk. I feel a bit like I'm at summer camp.
I thank God for this experience. I will never be the same and I have a feeling I will be back here many times to come. I pray God will use our experience to call others at CFC to short-term mission work here. As I learned today, even a skill as small as knitting can have an impact on lives here.
Sounds like the children were very happy to spend time with you!
ReplyDeleteSo fun to hear about your experiences! Praying for you all.
ReplyDelete